Certification Enhancement Opportunities
WSPI projects seek to enhance the customer service experience and improve the WIC certification process through adopting new practices or technology. Funded projects will make it easier for eligible families to participate in the program while also allowing staff to focus on core services rather than paperwork.
CSG has identified three WIC certification enhancement opportunities for these grants. Applicants may propose their own projects or select one, or a combination, of the opportunities outlined below.
- Adopt policies, practices, and/or technologies that enable participants to initiate and complete allowable portions of certification procedures online.
- Enhance capacity to utilize digital technology for appointment reminders and notifications of incomplete certifications.
- Develop and implement an online WIC referral portal for programs that establish adjunctive income eligibility for WIC.
- WIC agency led innovative strategies to improve the WIC certification process that are not captured by Enhancement Opportunities 1-3.
Adopt policies, practices, and/or technologies that enable participants to initiate and complete allowable portions of certification procedures online.
While federal WIC regulations require certification appointments to take place in-person, WIC State agencies can consider policies that allow for initiating the certification process online, prior to the in-person certification appointment. Mechanisms such as those allowing for electronic document submission, can be used to simplify the certification process and shorten in-person appointments.
When developing projects focused on Enhancement Opportunity 1, agencies are encouraged to consider:
- Use of the WIC Prescreening Tool developed by FNS
- Development of digital tools for the submission of documents
- Integration of data from electronic documents into the agency’s Management Information System (MIS)
- The need for new technology contracts or updating existing contracts
For further details and additional topics warranting consideration, please see the RFA.